Other highlights of the Census Bureau’s survey show the 569,000 single-family homes completed in 2013 include the following:
- 518,000 had air-conditioning.
- 59,000 had two or fewer bedrooms and 251,000 had four bedrooms or more.
- 27,000 had one and one-half bathrooms or less, whereas 188,000 homes had three or more bathrooms.
- 166,000 had a full or partial basement, while 91,000 had a crawl space, and 312,000 had a slab or other type of foundation.
- 305,000 had two or more stories.
- 333,000 had a forced-air furnace and 216,000 had a heat pump as the primary heating system.
- 347,000 had a heating system powered by gas and 214,000 had a heating system powered by electricity.
Of the 307,000 multifamily units started in 2013, 23,000 were age-restricted.
Of the 195,000 multifamily units completed in 2013:
- 14,000 were age-restricted.
- 129,000 were heated with electricity and 64,000 were heated with gas.
- 91,000 had two or more bathrooms.
- 79,000 had one bedroom and 27,000 had three or more bedrooms.
Of the 10,000 multifamily buildings completed in 2013:
- 5,000 had one or two floors.
- 6,000 used electricity as the primary heating fuel.
- 120,000 used vinyl siding as the principle type of exterior wall material, while only 12,000 used wood.
- 300,000 had 2-car garages, whereas 98,000 had garages for three cars or more.
- 207,000 had one fireplace and 20,000 had two or more fireplaces.